Sunday, May 18, 2008

He wishes for the cloths of heaven

It is interesting what a movie like "equilibrium" can give you. Came across these words for the first time years ago. Even now, they strike me as ever.

HAD I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,

I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

W.B. Yeats (1865–1939)"He Wishes For the Cloths of Heaven"


My dreams mean a lot to me. Much more than what wealth and riches this world has to offer. In that sense, these words seem almost paradoxical. For how could you surrender your dreams to any individual? If love has such a force, then it is love which forces one to dream out of hope; making an individual a part of your dreams and fantasies. But, I may be misinterpreting these words. For, you can only surrender your dreams to a person who is an exact personification of them.

No comments: